skip to main content

What is the difference between a TCC, Diploma, Associate’s Degree and a Bachelor’s Degree?
• A TCC is a technical college certificate and is typically made up of 3 to 6 college courses within a specific pathway program. Many careers require a TCC in order to gain employment. A Diploma is made up of additional pathway coursework, as well as some core academic courses. Certifications are often embedded in a diploma or the diploma is a pre-requisite for some state board certifications. An Associate’s Degree is typically a two-year degree that includes additional core academic course work, as well as program specific courses. An Associate’s Degree feeds into a Bachelor’s Degree. A Bachelor’s Degree typically takes four years to complete and is made up of up to two years of core academic work as well as degree specific course work and possible fieldwork as well.

Will the core college Dual Enrollment courses transfer to any public colleges or universities in GA?
• Yes, there is a contract in place between the University System of Georgia and the Technical College System of Georgia that insures the transferability of 27+ core academic courses.  Some private colleges and out of state colleges may also accept the dual enrollment credit, please check with them prior to registration.

What does dual enrollment mean?
• Dual enrollment simply means that a high school student can take a college course and receive a high school credit and college credit.  

What would a typical schedule look like for a student?
• This is typically a half-day program with students taking courses during the AM session (8:15 am - 11:15 am) or the PM session (11:50 am - 2:50 pm).  Students already on a block schedule would select 4 courses each year for their home high school, and 4 courses at the GRCCA.  Students on 7-period schedule would select 3 courses to take all year long at their home high school, and 4 courses at the GRCCA to equal their 7 courses for the year.

Can a student still be involved in high school extra-curricular activities?
• Yes, students can play sports, be in the band, participate in clubs, hold a class office, or partake in any extra-curricular activities at their home high school.  The GRCCA will also offer opportunities for involvement in clubs, organizations, competitions, and ambassadorial work.

Will the student still graduate from their home high school?
• Yes, the GRCCA is just a program for high school students from three participating school systems.  Students will graduate from Jackson High School (Butts County), Pike County High School, Griffin High School, Spalding High School, or AZ Kelsey.

What are the entrance requirements?
• A student must apply and be accepted at Southern Crescent Technical College (SCTC) and/or Gordon State College.  Entrance requirements are located on each college website, located under the tab About Us.  

Which school systems are participating in the program?
• Butts County School System, Pike County Schools, and Griffin-Spalding County School System

Are you a student, parent, or community member? Keep in touch with us: