skip to main content

What is the difference between a TCC, Diploma, Associate’s Degree and a Bachelor’s Degree?
• A TCC is a technical college certificate and is typically made up of 3 to 6 college courses within a specific pathway program. Many careers require a TCC in order to gain employment. A Diploma is made up of additional pathway coursework, as well as some core academic courses. Certifications are often embedded in a diploma or the diploma is a pre-requisite for some state board certifications. An Associate’s Degree is typically a two-year degree that includes additional core academic course work, as well as program specific courses. An Associate’s Degree feeds into a Bachelor’s Degree. A Bachelor’s typically takes four years to complete and is made up of up to two years of core academic work as well as degree specific course work and possible fieldwork as well.

Will the core college MOWR courses transfer to any colleges or universities?
• Yes, there is a contract in place between the University System of Georgia and the Technical College System of Georgia that insures the transferability of 27 core academic courses. Many Georgia high school students have completed their college freshman core through the MOWR program.

Do MOWR courses meet Hope rigor requirements?
• Yes, all of the core college academic courses meet the same Hope rigor requirements as an AP course in the home high school.

What does dual enrollment mean?
• Dual enrollment simply means that a high school student can take a college course and receive a high school credit and college credit. All dual enrollment in Georgia is now called Move on When Ready (MOWR). The GRCCA is now the hub for the MOWR program in Butts, Pike, and Spalding counties.

What if a student needs a high school academic course to be one of their four courses for the GRCCA?
• Yes, we will have a limited number of high school academic courses that will meet the high school graduation requirements for those students who are taking pathway program courses but not college core academic courses.

What would a typical schedule look like for a student?
• This is typically a half-day program with students taking courses during the AM session (8:15 am - 11:15 am) or the PM session (11:50 am - 2:50 pm).  Students already on a block schedule would select 4 courses each year for their home high school, and 4 courses at the GRCCA.  Students on 7-period schedule would select 3 courses to take all year long at their home high school, and 4 courses at the GRCCA to equal their 7 courses for the year.

Can a student still be involved in high school extra-curricular activities?
• Yes, students can play sports, be in the band, participate in clubs, hold a class office, or partake in any extra-curricular activities at their home high school.  The GRCCA will also offer opportunities for involvement in clubs, organizations, competitions, and ambassadorial work.

Will the student still graduate from their home high school?
• Yes, the GRCCA is just a program for high school students from three participating school systems.  Students will graduate from Jackson High School (Butts County), Pike County High School, Griffin High School, Spalding High School, or AZ Kelsey.

What are the entrance requirements?
• A student must apply and be accepted at Southern Crescent Technical College (SCTC) for the Pathway Programs and/or Gordon State College for the core academic courses. Students must be accepted into the Move on When Ready program by either SCTC or Gordon State in order to participate. This includes meeting eligibility requirements including qualifying scores on the Compass for SCTC programs and SAT/ACT for Gordon State core academic courses.

Which school systems are participating in the program?
• Butts County School System, Pike County Schools, and Griffin-Spalding County School System

Are you a student, parent, or community member? Keep in touch with us: